If you’re looking for an alcohol alternative—or an herbal essential to help manage stress levels—you may be debating between Stop Your Wine-ing® (a powdered blend) and Take the Edge Off™ (a tincture). Below, we’re breaking down the difference, as well as some tips for how and when to use them separately—and together!
Though similar in overall function, a major difference is that Take the Edge Off™ tincture contains an array of powerful extracts that work almost instantly in the body. All of the herbs in the tincture have already been extracted through a process that makes them rapidly bioavailable to the bloodstream.
Stop Your Wine-ing®’s effects can take closer to 20-30 minutes to feel in the body, as it is first processed through the digestive tract. So, with Take the Edge Off™, you get the functional benefits quicker with a smaller amount of herbs since they don’t need to go through the digestive process to be absorbed.
Here are some comparative specs to sip on:
- White wine-inspired
- Almost instant relief, as it directly enters the bloodstream
- Easy to take on-the-go, in your purse, on the plane, at your work desk, etc.
- Easily combines with almost any beverage
Taste Profile: Sweet, herbaceous, ripe stone fruits, and lemon peel
When to Use: Any time of day to ease feelings of stress or tension (more than one serving can cause drowsiness), or in the evening to wind down
How to Serve: 1-2 full droppers in still or sparkling water or mixed with almost any beverage (avoid mixing with caffeinated beverages as that can counteract relaxing benefits)
What to Expect: Instant tension relief
- Red wine-inspired
- Relief in 20-30 minutes
- Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, plus heart-healthy polyphenols (similar to red wine)
- Ingredients help calm the cardiovascular system (chest tightness, rapid heart rate)
- Contains motherwort which is a uterine tonic and supports menstrual balance
Tastes like: Tart, dark berries with slightly bitter notes
When to Use: Any time of time day to ease feelings of stress or tension (more than one dose can cause drowsiness, or in the evening for a post-work wind-down
How to Serve: Mix 1-2 tsp into a mocktail, sparkling water, tart juice, or warm milk
What to Expect: Relaxation in 20-30 minutes after consumption
There are also similarities between the blends
- Contain nervine herbs to reduce feelings of stress & anxiety quickly
- Calm the nervous system
- Ease tension at any time of the day
- Help support an elevated mood
- Can be sedative in larger amounts (avoid taking more than one serving at a time during the day)
- Provide alcohol-free, herb-supported relaxation
- Do not contain sugar
Though they both contain nervine herbs that help calm and relieve tension in the moment, the products feature completely different nervine herbs that complement each other well.
Motherwort within Stop Your Wine-ing® provides a special effect for calming the cardiovascular system (chest tightness, rapid heart rate), while passionflower and skullcap within Take the Edge Off™ are indicated for easing tension headaches and restlessness.
If used in combination, you get full-body nervous system benefits that work almost instantly and continue to relax you for the entire evening. But it is good to keep in mind that the two blends will increase the relaxing effects of each other, so I would avoid combining during the day and save that for when you’re kicking back to relax in the evening.