This may be stating the obvious, but mental health is important.
And while it's being recognized as an integral part of health more than ever (the WHO even says) "there is no health without mental health"), that doesn't mean it is any easier to achieve.
If anything, finding optimal mental health these days feels harder. The pressure to succeed, achieve "balance," show up for friends and family as the best version of yourself, all while navigating digital overload, a climate crisis, social and political issues coming to a head, and oh yeah—trying to get eight hours of sleep! If you want to wrap yourself in a gravity blanket after reading that, have no fear. We've rounded up all of Apothékary's blends made specifically for improving various facets of mental health that will support you wherever your mind's at.
Adrenal Come True
For when your adrenals are “shot”
We’ve all used that phrase, but what does it actually mean? Your adrenals are two tiny glands perched atop your kidneys and are little flight-or-fighters who help your body respond to stressful situations. During periods of unrelenting stress, however, your adrenals can become fatigued—like the iconic woman who wants to have it all (you can’t, sweetie). Through the adrenal-thyroid axis, tired adrenals can actually have an impact on the functioning of your thyroid, causing a range of issues from trouble sleeping, depressive thoughts, anxiety, aches and pains, weight gain, metabolic issues, and low energy.
How this blend helps: Adrenal Come True was formulated to support—yep, you guessed it—adrenal health! The nutritive herbs in this blend are rich in vitamins and minerals that support the adrenals glands—as well as adaptogenic holy basil and Siberian ginseng that help modulate your body’s stress response over time.
- Key ingredients: Moringa, holy basil (tulsi), Siberian ginseng, horsetail
- Effect: A more balanced state of being with a feeling of uplifted and energized mood.
- Taste: Earthy, green, refreshingly bitter
- Dosage: Take one teaspoon during the day, one to two times per day. It goes great in a green smoothie.
TL;DR: This blend is for you if you’ve been experiencing high levels of stress and want to support your adrenals—and in turn, thyroid—through a nutritious herbal blend. A balance of calming and uplifting adaptogens, Adrenal Come True helps nourish and replenish taxed adrenals.
For when burnout feels like your default setting
Is 'feeling drained' your constant state of existence with no reprieve? Are you crushed under burnout, HPA Axis Dysfunction, and high levels of stress on the regular? Well, my friend, other than my unsolicited advice to quit your job, leave the country, change your identity, and start anew, my next piece of advice is to try Chill the F Out.
How this blend helps: Chill the F* Out is a serotonin-delivering, stress- and cortisol-reducing blend formulated for those who need continuous stress support over time. It's best taken during the day to get your body out of fight-or-flight mode. Two ingredients in this blend, ashwagandha and reishi, are adaptogens which means they regulate your body's adrenals and stress response when taken regularly. You'll notice that after taking Chill the F* Out over time, those spikes of stress and anxiety that would normally be sharp and severe will feel less paralyzing, and you'll be able to take on your daily stressors with ease.
- Key ingredients: Reishi, ashwagandha, cacao
- Effect: A more even-keeled stress response over time. (Note: While everybody responds differently, most customers, on average, report the stress-reducing benefits at around three weeks of daily use.)
- Taste: Peppermint hot chocolate
- Dosage: Take it any time during the day, every day. If you're sensitive to caffeine, we recommend dosing before 3pm to ensure the small amount of caffeine from cacao in this blend doesn't interfere with your sleep.
TL;DR: This blend is for you if you're dealing with burnout, adrenal fatigue, or regularly experience high levels of stress. This is meant to be taken continuously over a longer period of time so that your body naturally adjusts to stress and can handle it with ease in the long run.
For when your goldfish brain can't focus on anything except a 15-second video
Sometimes our mind has a hard time focusing and is off traveling to who knows where. That head-in-the-clouds state can make it hard to get things done or be truly present for life. If it feels like you need coffee or a loving slap to your own face to get focused, there is hope. Slap no more, Mind Over Matter is here for you.
How this blend helps: Mind Over Matter sharpens focus, naturally eases anxiety, and reduces brain fog and stress. You can even put it in your coffee for a more sustainable focus that'll keep your mind on target through your task list. The powerhouse ingredients in this blend are...mushrooms! Collectively considered "nootropics," lion's mane, chaga, and reishi work together to enhance cognition, improve concentration, and reduce brain fog and stress. These mushrooms also have other amazing medicinal benefits for the immune system, which is awesome since stress can also take a toll on that.
- Key Ingredients: Lion's mane, chaga, and reishi mushrooms
- Effect: Improved concentration and mental performance. (Note: this isn't energy boosting like caffeine, but it will give you improved focus, more mental clarity, and less brain fog. Sweet.)
- Taste: Earthy and savory, a perfect pair to coffee
- Dosage: Add to morning coffee for focus right off the bat, or use on its own in the afternoon to power your focus through the end of the work day.
TL;DR: Mind Over Matter will sharpen your concentration and give your brain a boost to get everything done on your to-do list.
For when your brain needs a fresh breath of air
Would you describe your mental state as "blah"? Are you a little tired, stressed, and feel like you just have cobwebs on your brain? If you don't need a caffeine-esque boost but are seeking a clearer mind and more headspace, Blue Me Away is for you.
How this blend helps: You know that moment right after you take a shower when you feel simply fresh? This blend makes your brain feel that way. One of the star ingredients here is Siberian ginseng (also known as eleuthero) which is a powerful adaptogen that modulates the stress response and cortisol levels (cortisol is the stress hormone). It's also energy boosting without containing any caffeine. Blue butterfly pea flower (sometimes called blue matcha)— is more than just the reason for this blend's eye-popping hue—comes in to reduce inflammation and works with the chlorella in this blend to balance blood sugar and support your body's natural detoxification systems. Get ready for your mind to feel refreshed and clear.
- Key Ingredients: Blue matcha (blue butterfly pea flower), Siberian ginseng (eleuthero), chlorella
- Effect: Instant mental clarity and energy boost with reduced stress and inflammation
- Taste: Delicate tea flavor (without the tea) and creamy coconut undertones. Some have said it tastes like shortbread with a hint of citrus, so you'll have to decide for yourself!
- Dosage: Take whenever you feel like you need to shake the mental cobwebs off, ideally recommended before 3pm so that the energy boost from eleuthero doesn't interfere with your sleep.
TL;DR: This blend banishes mental fog that comes with stress and makes your mind feel fresh.
For when you need a post-work wind down without the wine
Is your jaw still clenched from balancing email, Slack, Trello, and oh yeah doing your actual job and being a living human all day? Do you look forward to your 5pm cocktail or wine to take the edge off, but hate the grogginess and other drawbacks of alcohol? Well then, Stop Your Wine-ing!
How this blend helps: This nervous system-supporting blend will unclench that jaw after just a few sips, so it's perfect for when you need that "ooh yeah, that's good" feeling from your happy hour drink. Aronia berry gives you the cardiovascular support that you INSIST is in your glass of Malbec, without the hangover. Combined with motherwort, a powerful nervine, and jujube date, an anxiety-easer and mild sedative, your nervous system will feel instant relief from tension that's been percolating all day.
- Key Ingredients: Motherwort, aronia berry, acai berry, jujube date, MCT oil
- Effect: Immediate calmness and reduced anxiety
- Taste: Tart, rich berries
- Dosage: Dose it when you need to take the edge off, especially as a post-work wind down
TL;DR: For when you need to wind down (plus support your nervous and cardiovascular systems!) without alcohol.
For when your brain decides to spiral at bedtime
Sleep much? No? You're not alone: the CDC says that "a third of US adults report that they usually get less than the recommended amount of sleep." Considering the prevalence of high stress levels and lots of screen time before bed, we're not surprised. But but...my phone is my alarm clock! So naturally I have to look at every other app that exists on it before I go to sleep! Yeah, we get it. Plus, what better time than bedtime to reflect on all your life choices? And then feel anxious? And then get even more anxious because you're not falling asleep? Ugh. Cue the night-long toss and turn.
How this blend helps: If you've been reaching for the melatonin more times than you've been counting sheep, this bedtime blend is for you. Do Not Disturb's unique blend of Holy Basil (tulsi) and mucuna pruriens (velvet bean) reduces stress and gently induces sleep within an hour or so of dosing, so you'll be off to dreamland before you know it. Holy basil resets your nervous system and helps restore your adrenals, while mucuna pruriens delivers L-dopa, the precursor to dopamine. Dopamine is an important neurotransmitter that is essential for sleep, memory, mood, mental functions, and calming the nervous system. Dreamy. Get ready to sleep like a log (and leave your phone in a different room overnight, while you're at it).
- Key ingredients: Holy basil, mucuna pruriens, lucuma
- Effect: A calmed nervous system, hushed racing thoughts, and a relaxed body ready to drift off to dreamland
- Taste: Reminiscent of warming chai spices
- Dosage: Take 1-2 hours before bedtime
TL;DR: This blend will help you get the good night's sleep you deserve.